8.8.09

New

I've decided to take part in this weekly writing thing called the Sunday Scribblings. (link's up there) Each week they post up a one word topic and lovers of words would write a story, a poem, or anything about it. I took part in it because it sounded interesting and hopefully i'll meet people who also love to write. So this week's topic is "New". I wrote a poem about it. An amateur, I might not be the best but i'll learn :)


3.30.
The sun sleeps in his little house in the West,
purring gently in slow rhythmic breaths.
And so does everything around him,
under the watchful gaze of the moon.

5.00.
The sun prepares to go to work.
He crawls out of bed, goes to the toilet and makes himself a warm cup of coffee.
In between sips, he thinks,
"Which route shall I use today"
"East, like always,"
Routines breeds familarity and he found assurance in it.
And so the sun puts on his coat,
and sets off on his journey.

Meanwhile.
Over the hills, nature shivers with anticipation
as they wait for his arrival.
The cool morning dew begins to form,
On blades of grass, furs of animals and windows of houses.
A condensation of the night's hustle and bustle.
The moon yawns, his eyelids droop down heavily.
"A few more minutes", he told himself.


0559
The sun walked four streets,
past six corners and two junctions
before he finally arrived at the east gate.


The gate.
With reddish brown metallic elements falling off its surface,
still stand erect, tall and magnificient.
It has watched the many suns walk past its doorway,
every dawn, at five, for as long as the planet's birth.

0600.
The sun pushes the gates open.
He takes his first step through,
Walks up the stairways to the sky,
takes the place of the moon,
and shines.

A faint orange glow,
then brighter, brighter
and finally a warm yellow hue.

Spreading across plains,
Through windows of houses,
past canopies of leaves.
Beckoning its occupants awake from their dreams of the night.

The sun shines.
A new day has arrived.

12 comments:

Sherri B. said...

This is wonderful...incredibly clever! I'm so glad you've decided to join Sunday Scribblings, and sure hope to see you again. Great read!

Lisa said...

This was great. We both thought of the same topic. Different take.

Stan Ski said...

I think we can all learn a thing or two from this...

Understanding Alice said...

I really liked this, produced some lovely mental images. will look out for you on the scribblings!

Americanising Desi said...

a very different take and actually i loved reading it :)

Tale from the NEW side

gautami tripathy said...

Welcome to SS! I enjoyed reading this!

ravens chase out thoughts from the mind

Kill Word Verification

George S Batty said...

The sun drinks coffee and uses the toilet....that is absolutely amazing. never would I have come up with that. Old Grizz salutes you. wonderful poetry.

Dee Martin said...

This warmed me:
Walks up the stairways to the sky,
takes the place of the moon,
and shines
Love this concept and the phrasing.

S. and her comrade said...

thank you all for the kind comments :) they brightened my day!

Serena Shay said...

Welcome to Sunday Scribblings. Wonderful poem and very inventive! Nice job. :)

floreta said...

this is a great story poem!

Bobbie said...

This is just utterly and absolutely sweet! I love the imagery...and I pictured Mr. Sun walking through the gates lol. I LOVE LOVE LOVE when writing does that.

This is my first week Scribbling too lol, so I kept my poetry short and sweet for this first one.

*Applauding*